Handmade Quality

The Parts of a Saddle


     I drew this simple drawing below so that we would be all talking about the same parts of a saddle when we discuss different things dealing with saddles. Sometimes I have run into customers who  didn't know what to call a certain part of the saddle when we were planning out the tooling and different things like that. They knew where they wanted it at , but didn't know what that piece of the saddle was called for sure, or at least what I call them.. This will help so that when we discuss the Skirts, Fenders, Billets, Seat Jockeys, Stirrup leathers, Rigging, Fork , or  Back Jockeys , plus others parts,  we are both talking about the same thing. I don't have the Cantle Back labeled , its the rear of the cantle you see from behind the saddle. The Piece that says flat plate is the riggin and is know as a flat plate riggin. I also have drawn three different skirt shapes to help with that. Its not a very fancy drawing and not exact, but will do the job for our purposes. You will also be able to look at the saddle pictures  to see the skirt shapes.

Slick Fork Saddle Shop

Parts of a Saddle

No laughing at my drawing !